https://www.facebook.com/pages/TasteofMysore/128939487156170?ref=hl

White Puran Poli /ಬಿಳೀ ಹೋಳಿಗೆ

A month dedicated to RCI-Karanataka. All dishes that will be posted this month on TOM will be for RCI-Karnataka. Enjoy recipes from the land of Kaveri!.







Yet another finger licking breakfast from my grandmother. We call it 'ಬಿಳೀ ಹೋಳಿಗೆ' in Kannada which translates to White puran poli! ; here poli is white because 'puran' or the filling is white in color. The filling is made from rice flour and then rolled them off like normal polis. It is relished with chutney and palya (potato curry).



Ingrediants for Puran/filling: (makes 6-8 polis)



Rice flour : 2 cups

Water: 4 cups

salt



Ingrediants for the skin/outer cover layer



Chiroti Rava : 2 cups

salt

Water

oil (I prefer to use Sunflower oil. Any oil that is in use at home for day to day cooking can be used)



Most of you know to make Chutney and Potato Palya so I will not be blogging them.



How to make it:



1. Mix Chiroti rava and salt. Add enough water to make a dough. Dough should be soft like chapathi dough. Pour some oil and knead again till some of the oil is taken in by dough. Pour extra oil on the dough cover it with a lid and leave it aside for 30 mins.
Chiroti rava looks like this.........


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



2. Bring 4 cups of water to boil with salt. When water starts boiling add rice flour and let it boil for 7 mins on low flame.
3. Switch off the stove after 7 mins and mix riceflour and water thoroughly. At this stage you can see lumps when you mix it. Do not panic. Cover the vessel with a lid and leave it aside till the mix cools down.


4. Take the warm rice flour mix in a polythene and knead the mix to make a soft lumpless dough.


5. Remove and make orange sized balls .



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

6. Take a lemon sized chiroti rava dough and spread them using fingers. The dough is stretchable so there would be any problem while doing this.


7. Place one rice flour ball and fold in the skin as shown in the picture.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



8. Apply some oil on the closed ball and press it gently to make it flat.



9. Roll them off with a rolling ping pin like chapathis/polis on a laminated paper. Smear oil to the rolling pin to roll them easily.



10. Place the rolled poli on the hot tava with the paper as shown in the pic. Take the paper away and use it for next poli.



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



11. Fry it on both sides and serve with chutney and Potato Palya/sabji



12. You can make masala poli like masala dosa too...like this



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

13. Eat and Enjoy!!!! :-)





14. Forgot to post this picture :(



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket





Check out other authentic Karnataka cuisine on my blog too. To name a few Akki Rotti, Chitrana, Badanekayi bajji, RiceFlour Pooris, Mysore Bonda, Hurulimalake Huli, Hurgalu.

Happy Cooking for RCI-K.

35 comments:

Raaga said...

Is this too complicated?? Or is it simple? Looks yummy

Viji said...

It is something new to me. Nice entry. Viji

Lakshmi said...

@ Raaga,
To me it is not complicated. Total cooking time is 45 mins to 1hr and what ever I make at home takes 1hr. So it is easy! :))

@ Viji,
Try and see Viji it tastes yumm. Ageold, traditional dishes never fail to tantalize our taste buds.

Rajitha said...

looks delicious..i feel like eating one right now.

FH said...

Bili Obbattu!!! YUM!!! Lakshmi, you blew me away!:))
You know I remember eating this many many yrs ago at my Mysore ajji's (dad's mom)home, but totally forgotten it. It's not that complicated, just like making Holige with different Hoorana, but very unique indeed.Thank you so much.I will proudly display it next month.Hugs. Bring them on baby! :D

Aruna said...

Hey, that is totally new to me!!! Good one...

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

Lakshmi said...

@ Rajitha,
Common dear take them before i finish it off! ;))

@ Aruna,
namma hosa ruchigala naduve hale aduge marethu hogthivi alwa? ;)) nimma/namma ajji kalada thindi idu..nanna all time favorite!:))

Coffee said...

Thats a white beauty! Nice entry. :)

Lakshmi said...

@ Asha,
Thanks Asha. I can see these mouthwatering dishes are becoming very rare. I am happy that you remembered it. I made sweet holige with it, but wanna blog them later. Hugs to you too...

Latha Narasimhan said...

Oh bili obbattu! Tasted this in some of friends homes. These authentic dishes always facinate me! Thanks lakshmi for sharing.

bee said...

lakshmi, is there an english word for 'chiroti'?

Lakshmi said...

@ Latha,
I am glad you have tasted it.

Lakshmi said...

@ Coffee,
Nice to see you here Coffee.

Lakshmi said...

@ bee,
Chiroti is a sweet dish that is very popular in Karnataka. All I can translate Chiroti rava to English is fine semolina. But I am sure Indian grocery stores sell them. It is the main ingrediant of rava kesari which is served in temples. I hope you get it. Will post the rava pic in a day or two.

Tee said...

White Puran Poli is something new ! Looks delicious!
We too make chirote in Maharashtra...i did not know that it is a popular dish in Karnataka as well. They are the layered puff pastry kinds sweets that are dipped in sugar syrup, right?

Saju said...

Wow, it may be easy for you, but for me it looks plenty complicated. But I would love to eat some. I wish we had some good Mysore restaurants aroung.

Manasi said...

That looks lovely!!! And new to me!

Unknown said...

Oh wow Lakshmi great authentic entry...Never made bili holige but have tasted at my friend's house. looks delicious.

Manjula said...

Bili HoLige? modalane sala keLodu idu! accha karnataka aduge na idu?
Very authentic dish!

Richa said...

wow! lovely looking poli :) i think that chiroti rava must be fine rava, something that can be knead into a dough! very new recipe for me.

TBC said...

I love polis. The only kind I've tasted are the brown ones. This one is new to me. Looks great!

Roopa (KitchenAromas) said...

Oyi! I claim I'm a hard core Karnataka girl, yet I had never heard of this! We make rotis from just the cooked rice flour..never imagined one would make "poli" with it. And yeah, you have a lot of patience! :)

Suganya said...

Savory filling in a savory wrap is new to me. Nevertheless, looks super soft.

Lakshmi said...

@ tee,
Yes they are layered pastry dipped in sugar. Most of the times I get confused with pheni and chiroti :)) Pheni is also a layered pastry but served with hot badam milk. Do you make Pheni in Maharastra?

Lakshmi said...

@ Saju,
Unfortunately restaurants do not serve them. You should have a dear mysore grandmother at home to cook them for you or a foodie like me ;)who is obsessed with authentic dishes.

Lakshmi said...

@ Manasi,
Thanks Manasi.

@Madhu,
Glad to hear you have tasted it. Thanks Madhu for dropping by.

Lakshmi said...

@ Manjula,
howdu madam idu Kannadadavra adige. Omme maadinodi. Biliholige madidre sihi holige freee! that was my ammas slogan! sihi hoorna madalu samaya jaasti hidiyolla antha.

Lakshmi said...

@ Richa,

Yes girl. It can be knead into a dough. Variety of dishes are made out if this rava. Let me see if I can blog them all ;))

Indi Cook said...

Yummy recipe, Lakshmi.

My m-i-l makes something similar...though for the kanaka, she uses a regular wheat flour dough and not with chiroti rava. Must try out your version.

Thanks for sharing !

Lakshmi said...

@ Roopa(KitchenAromas)
Hahahaaa Roopavre there are many more which I and you are not aware off. So I am still learning from my Ajji, MIL and MIL's MIL...;))

@ Suganya,
You can even wrap sweet puran in this wrap. I hope I could have shown it here. They are crisp outside and soft inside. A total feast to your taste buds!

Lakshmi said...

@ AV,
Try using chiroti rava, your holige/obbattu will be very crisp outside and soft inside.

Pooja V said...

This is v new to me. Nice entry, simply loved it.

Kajal said...

Very nice step by step information. You make this ball from rice flour is new for me. Thanks for sharing.:)

Lakshmi said...

@Kajal,
It is very authentic dish of Karnataka. Try them to taste them. They taste different and good.

Manohar H K said...

yes even I remember this my grandma used to make it with chicken curry. Nothing u can compare to that combination.