https://www.facebook.com/pages/TasteofMysore/128939487156170?ref=hl

Smoked Brinjal with herbs / ಸುಟ್ಟ ಬದನೆಕಾಯಿ ಬಜ್ಜಿ

After spending a decade in Chitradurga we were addicted to eating Jolada rotti with varieties of Brinjal curries, Capsicum Curries, Chutney Powders (kureshani pudi/gurellu pudi, peanut pudi) ghee, godhi huggi (cracked wheat porridge), Menasikayi bonda (Greenchilli fritters) etc., 7 years passed since we left Chitradurga and the taste of these delicious food served in many of our friends houses and 'Khanavali' (north karnataka style hotels) is still lingering..

Jolada Rotti (Jowar Bread) and Stuffed Brinjal Curry/Yenne Badnekayi is a speciality dish in NorthKarnataka. There are many varieties of brinjal curries, one of them is Smoked brinjal with herbs/ ಸುಟ್ಟ ಬದನೆಕಾಯಿ ಬಜ್ಜಿ (nearest translation to English from Kannada). It is very near to Baingan Bharta which is made in Northern Indian states. Here I go to explain the brinjal receipe from North Karnataka.

Ingrediants :

Big Round Brinjal : 2
Green Chillies : 4
Garlic : 1 pod
Small Onion: 1 (chopped finely)
Lemon : juice from half piece of lemon
Salt to taste
Coriander : for garnishing


Tadka :

Oil, mustard and jeera mix, curry leaves, asafoetida (add them to hot oil in the same order)


How to make it:

Brush little oil on the brinjals. Give 2-3 vertical incisions on the brinjal taking care not to slice the brinjal. Grill the eggplants on an open flame, turn it around when the skin is charred. Allow the brinjals to cool. Peel the skin and cut them into 2-3 large pieces.

Place green chillies, garlic andsalt in a pessel and mortar and crush them to a coarse paste. To the crushed paste add the cooked brinjal pieces and crush them again to a coarse mixture. Remove the mixture to a serving dish and add finely chopped onion and lemon juice. Add tadka to the mixture and garnish with coriander before you serve.





I could not take a closeup picture of this dish as there was nothing left in the serving dish, but I was happy to see that my hubby and sunny enjoyed eating it.




This will be my entry to JFI hosted by Sangeetha of GharkaKhana .

8 comments:

Roopa said...

yummy one lakshmi, we too make a similar one.your looks tasty dear!nice entry!

Lakshmi said...

@Roopa
Thanks!

FH said...

I love Bajji,yum! Specially with Akki rotti:))

Raaga said...

Is this the same thing they serve at Kamat Yatri Nivas?

Lakshmi said...

@Asha, Thankyou Ashaji for stopping by my blog.

@Raaga,
I have not tasted it at YatriNivas. But this bajji is a common dish that is served with Jolada Rotti in Khanavali.

Anonymous said...

I googled Kureshani Pudi and came across your site. First of all, Great recipes!!! I already made akki rotti and hitikbele saaru.

I read that you lived in Chitradurga in this post. I am from CTA too... and so was wondering whether I know you. Which school did you go to and which year? I went to St. Joseph's Convent from Nursey to 10th std during (1979-1989).

Lakshmi said...

@Shifalika,
Thanks for your nice words. I think you were in my Junior batch. I studied in St.Joseph's for only a year (10thstd) so I am not aware of most of my juniors, but it is nice to see you here...in this virtual world.

rashmi said...

Hi Lakshmi, this bajji goes well with paddu also, try it out